Award-winning Environmental Journalist, Author, Graphic Artist and Communications Specialist
With 25 years of professional experience. Ananda has been part of advertising agencies, non-governmental organizations and national media houses (including 16 years in business journalism – eight years in Business Today and Mint-WSJ respectively) where he has used his multidisciplinary skill set.
He is currently Consulting Editor Special Projects at Outlook Magazine Group where he conceptualised and created the environmental platform ‘Planet Outlook’.
Ananda is also associated with Environment Law And Development Foundation where he co-founded ‘Paryavidhi’ – Environmental Law Quarterly magazine. He has been also working as a Communications Consultant for Deutsche Forest Service (DFS)/ Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ-India) on Human Wildlife Conflict Mitigation in India / Indo-German Biodiversity Programme.
Ananda Banerjee has been part of several leading organizations to give a voice to important environmental and development trends, through his research, writing and artwork. His ability to popularize data, research, science and developmental issues through research, writing and design have won him several prestigious awards. He has been widely applauded for his incisive writing on environmental issues in ‘Mint – The Wall Street Journal.’ Banerjee has been able to straddle diverse organizations across his 25-year long career, bringing to each his deep knowledge about natural history, climate change and conservation. His interest lies in art/design, ornithology, environmental economics, ecosystem services and ecological restorations.
Banerjee is a recipient of the following most prestigious awards in India :
• Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) Earth Heroes Award (2015).
• Environmental Journalist of the Year, Asian Environmental Journalist Awards
(AEJA – Singapore Environment Council) (2014).
• Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism (2013).
Ananda Banerjee has written long-form environmental essays for the Mint-The Wall Street Journal, (2011-2018), one of India’s key business newspapers, often revealing trends and facts not widely known. His fortnightly column, ‘Out in the Wild,’ was in Mint Lounge, the paper’s weekend edition. His work has been published in Hindustan Times, Business Standard, IndiaSpend, BloombergQuint, The Print and Outlook. He has previously worked with India Today Group, The Pioneer and Centre for Science and Environment.
His books include the following :
• l’ermellino di Leonardo (co-authored with Martina Corgnati, Nomos Edizioni, Italy, 2020,)
• Amy – The Amur Falcon (2014 – Nagaland Wildlife & Biodiversity Conservation Trust, 2014)
• Nature Chronicles of India – Essays on Wildlife, (Rupa & Co, 2014)
• Wild Trail in Madhya Pradesh (Eicher Goodearth Books, 2013)
• Common Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Rupa & Co, 2008)
He has contributed to several books, magazines, galleries and museums around the globe – Grosvenor
Gallery, London; National Museum of Natural History (Naturalis), Leiden; World Water Exhibition, Hague; Water Asia Exhibition, New Delhi, International Crane Foundation, Wisconsin to name a few.
Earlier Banerjee has been a communications consultant for the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India, World Bank; project planning process; Biodiversity Conservation and Rural Livelihood Improvement Project (BCRLIP).
INVITED LECTURES & ADVISORY ROLE
• Guest speaker at The Horcynus Foundation Orca di Messina, Italy, September 2019.
• Guest speaker at The School of Cultural Heritage, Department of Communication and Didactic,
Academy of Brera, Milan, & Antonio Ratti Foundation, Commo, ltaly (2018).
• Distinguished visiting scholar and lecturer at University of New Mexico (UNM Art Museum),
Albuquerque, USA (Fall, 2017).
• Member – Advisory Board, Current Conservation Magazine (www.currentconservation.org).
• Member – IUCN Commission on Education and Communication (IUCN CEC 2017-Present).
• Advisor – Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi.
• Indian Responsible Tourism Summit and Awards (IRTA 2017, 2018 & 2019), hosted by Outlook Magazine and World Travel Market (WTM)’s Responsible Tourism Awards, London.
• ‘Varavaran’- India’s Environment and Wildlife Film Festival (2003 & 2013).
• FEJI-ATREE (Forum of Environmental Journalists of India – Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment).
• Earth Journalism Network (EJN).
• The International League of Conservation Writers (ILCW).