Award-winning Journalist, Author, Graphic Artist and Communications Specialist with 26 years’ professional experience. Ananda Banerjee has been part of several leading organizations to give a voice to important environmental and development trends, through his research, writing and artwork. His ability to popularize data, research, science and developmental issues through research, writing and design have won him several prestigious awards. His interest lies in environmental economics, sustainable development and ecological restorations.
Ananda has been part of advertising agencies, non-governmental organizations and national media houses where he has used his multidisciplinary skill set. In 2022, he was part of the Executive Management Team as Director (Communications & Campaign) at the Wildlife Trust of India (WTI). As Consulting Editor Special Projects at Outlook Magazine Group, he conceptualised and created the environmental platform ‘Planet Outlook’ in 2020-21. Prior to that, he was handling newsroom operations for GONEWS-India’s first-of-itskind App-based television news channel.Ananda is also associated with Environment Law And Development Foundation in New Delhi where he co-founded ‘Paryavidhi’ – Environmental Law Quarterly magazine now in its fifth year of publication. From 2018-2021, he has been also working as a Communications Consultant for Deutsche Forest Service (DFS)/ Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GIZ-India) on Human Wildlife Conflict (HWC) Mitigation (Indo-German Biodiversity Programme). Banerjee is also a certified trainer on HWC mitigation with WTI.He has been instrumental in the editorial/design/production of two periodicals on tiger conservation -’ Tiger Link’ (WWF-India), ‘Stripes’ (National Tiger Conservation Authority NTCA) and ‘GTF News’ (Global Tiger Forum) as well as other publications from the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA).
He has been widely applauded for his incisive long-form writing on wildlife conservation in ‘Mint – The Wall Street Journal.’ Banerjee has been able to straddle diverse organizations across his long career, bringing to each his deep knowledge of environmental issues. His articles have been widely cited in acadamia as well as in legal cases. Earlier Banerjee has been a communications consultant for the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India, World Bank; project planning process; Biodiversity Conservation and Rural Livelihood Improvement Project (BCRLIP).
Banerjee is a recipient of the following most prestigious awards in India :
- Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS) Earth Heroes Award (2015).
- Environmental Journalist of the Year, Asian Environmental Journalist Awards (AEJA – Singapore Environment Council, 2014).
- Ramnath Goenka Award for Excellence in Journalism (2013).
Ananda Banerjee has written long-form environmental essays for the Mint-The Wall Street Journal, (2011- 2018), one of India’s key business newspaper, often revealing trends and facts not widely known. His fortnightly column, ‘Out in the Wild,’ was in Mint Lounge, the paper’s weekend edition. His work has been published in Hindustan Times, Business Standard, IndiaSpend, BloombergQuint, The Print and Outlook. He has previously worked with Outlook, Mint (HT-Media), Business Today (India Today Group), The Pioneer and Centre for Science and Environment (CSE).
- Meenu the Whale Shark (Children’s book – Whale Shark Campaign, WTI, 2022)
- l’ermellino di Leonardo (co-authored with Martina Corgnati, Nomos Edizioni, Italy, 2020)
- Amy – The Amur Falcon (2014 – Nagaland Wildlife & Biodiversity Conservation Trust, 2014)
- Nature Chronicles of India – Essays on Wildlife, (Rupa & Co, 2014)
- Wild Trail in Madhya Pradesh (Eicher Goodearth Books, 2013)
- Common Birds of the Indian Subcontinent (Rupa & Co, 2008)
Book Covers – India Wildlife@50 (Rupa & Co, 2022), Aakriti – The Unique Journey Of Assam Type Houses (Assam Book Trust, 2022). And special mention in Birds & People (Random House, 2013)
He has contributed to several books, magazines, galleries and museums around the globe – Grosvenor Gallery, London; National Museum of Natural History (Naturalis), Leiden; World Water Exhibition, Hague; Water Asia Exhibition, New Delhi, International Crane Foundation, Wisconsin to name a few.
INVITED LECTURES, ADVISING, JURIES, FELLOWSHIPS & FILMS
- Guest speaker at The Horcynus Foundation Orca di Messina, Italy, September, 2019.
- Guest speaker at The School of Cultural Heritage, Department of Communication and Didactic, Academy of Brera, Milan, & Antonio Ratti Foundation, Commo, ltaly, 2018.
- Distinguished visiting scholar and lecturer at University of New Mexico (UNM Art Museum), Albuquerque, USA (Fall, 2017).
- Member – Advisory Board, Current Conservation Magazine (www.currentconservation.org).
- Member – IUCN Commission on Education and Communication (IUCN CEC 2017-Present).
- Advisor – Climate & Ecosystems – Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi.
- Indian Responsible Tourism Summit and Awards (IRTA 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022), hosted by Outlook Magazine and World Travel Market (WTM)’s Responsible Tourism Awards, London.
- ‘Varavaran’- India’s Environment and Wildlife Film Festival (2003 & 2013).
- FEJI-ATREE (Forum of Environmental Journalists of India – Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology and Environment).
- Earth Journalism Network (EJN).
- The International League of Conservation Writers (ILCW).
- Consultant at Urban Sky Pictures – http://www.urbanskypictures.com/
- Consultant – Markhor – Hope In A Paradise (Shivang Mehta / WTI Productions – urly.it/3rs0a)
- Featuring in ‘Panchakki – Ghost In The River’ on OTT platforms (MX Player/ Hungama)